PCI to Parallel for PowerPC

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Mon Nov 26 04:00:11 EST 2007

Bai Shuwei schrieb:

Please don't cross-post.

> hi, all
>     I bought a SMC1500 stepper motor card. And it can connect with host
> through parallel port. My target board is PowerPC 440, which hasn't
> parrallel port. So I bought a PCI to Parallel line for SMC1500. But when
> I run the stepper motor, I find it's not stable. I  doubt there are
> somthing wrong with my PCI to Parallel line. So I beg somebody can tell
> me where I can bought the  appropriate conversion line from PCI to
> parallel, and does somebody give me some idea about how to control my
> stepper motor through PowerPC 440? thx all

Put that PCI Card to your host where your stepper was working
properly to see if it's a hardware issue with that card.

Then it depends on how you control your stepper motor. If you use
some bit-banging (which I wouldn't recommend) to drive each winding
and want to have smooth movement, you need a very precise timing
when it comes to some "more than low-speed" stepper motors,
otherwise your motors will start to coggle.
To be precise: you will first have to figure out what leads to
the effect of "it's not stable". Do you have an Oscilloscope?

Regards,
--
Clemens Koller

http://www.anagramm-technology.com