440 ebony patch seems to have broken 85xx build on powerpc.git

Josh Boyer jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri May 25 06:24:55 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 22:21 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Thursday 24 May 2007, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >
> > > Nothing is telling GCC what CPU to compile for, so it
> > > will just use the compiler's default, which very likely
> > > is not what you want.  For files that will only ever
> > > be used on 440, the correct flags are -mcpu=440 -Wa,-m440 .
> >
> > We could add that to the per-file flags already, right?
>
> I think it should really use -mcpu=powerpc on all files.
> The problem that Dave saw was the result of using a compiler
> that defaults to -mcpu=8540, which uses instruction that
> don't work on 440.

You sure?  It griped about isel, and isel is implemented on all 440s
with the exception of 440GP.  Yay for consistency.

> The common files really need to be built with -mcpu flags that
> make the code work on any system if you want to be able
> to use just a single boot wrapper binary for all.

Yeah, it's finding those combinations that work for all the existing
toolchains out there that's the issue.  That, or making the wrapper not
compile all the platform files...  I don't know which makes more sense.

josh