440 ebony patch seems to have broken 85xx build on powerpc.git

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Fri May 25 06:21:17 EST 2007

On Thursday 24 May 2007, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > Nothing is telling GCC what CPU to compile for, so it
> > will just use the compiler's default, which very likely
> > is not what you want.  For files that will only ever
> > be used on 440, the correct flags are -mcpu=440 -Wa,-m440 .
>
> We could add that to the per-file flags already, right?

I think it should really use -mcpu=powerpc on all files.
The problem that Dave saw was the result of using a compiler
that defaults to -mcpu=8540, which uses instruction that
don't work on 440.

The common files really need to be built with -mcpu flags that
make the code work on any system if you want to be able
to use just a single boot wrapper binary for all.

	Arnd <><