Problems in 2.6 memory management on 8xx

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Fri May 25 02:45:36 EST 2007

Hi Joakim,

> On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 17:23 +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
>> On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 15:07 +0200, Detlev Zundel wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > working on a 2.6.16 kernel on a 870 CPU, I ran into this strange
>> > behaviour exemplified by the simple attached demo program.  An icbi
>> > from userspace on an address that is mapped only lazily gets into an -
>> > though interruptible - loop. Locking the icbi target in question with
>> > mlock circumvents this problem.
>>
>> 8xx is buggy w.r.t cache instructions. They do not update the
>> DAR register in the TLB miss/TLB error handlers.
>> The TLB miss handler does not use the DAR reg but the TLB error
>> handler do. Thats why it works when you mlock the memory.
>>
>> This bug isn't documented but Freescale has confirmed it.
>> You can search the archives some years back for more info.
>>
>>  Jocke
>
> BTW, it is possible to workaround this problem in the kernel by
> tagging DAR with an impossible value and compare DAR against it
> in the DTLB Error handler. If a match, then do a instruction decode
> to get the regs involved and calculate the faulting address.
>
> I did this several years ago for 2.4 in assembler and posted
> it, but it was rejected.
> One should bail out to handle_page_fault and do the
> calculations there instead(less likely to break that way)
>
> Found one version of the patch here:
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=1307

Thanks for shedding some light on this problem.  I already found the
patch you refer to and also wondered why it was never accepted.  Was
there a technical reason or did it simply slip everybodys attention?

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid by education.
					  --Bertrand Russell