Porting RapidIO from ppc arch to powerpc arch in support of MPC8641D

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Thu May 24 10:52:15 EST 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 09:21:48AM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2007, Zhang Wei-r63237 wrote:
>
> > > So I'm taking the boot/dts/mpc8641_hpcn.dts and producing a new
> > > mpc8641D_umem.dts with the following addition to the soc.
> > >
> > > srio at c0000 {
> > >                 device_type = "srio";
> > >                 compatible = "86xx,85xx";

This is quite tangential to the rest of this discussion, but "xx"s in
compatible properties always alarm me if they're the only thing
listed.  It's generally best to give a precise model, then a more
general one: the trade-off is that if you're too precise, it's fairly
easy for the driver to workaround by recognizing and binding to
multiple compatible strings, whereas if you're too general you risk
the driver not being able to determine whether it needs a
model-specific workaround or not.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson