publishing OF platform devices

John Rigby jcrigby at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 07:20:19 EST 2007

I have a question about the "right" way to publish platform
devices via of_platform_bus_probe.

On 5200 platforms it gets called from
mpc52xx_declare_of_platform_devices which is registered as the
machdep_calls init routine.

On other platforms it is called via a device_initcall

I assume the main difference between these two is one would happen
later than the other?

Also I noticed that some 83xx platforms don't call
of_platform_bus_probe at all.  Thats ok because most of those devices
are register various routines in fsl_soc.c.  The one I have not
figured out yet is spi, I don't see anyone registering mpc83xx_spi?

Any enlightenment would be appreciated

Thanks
John