[CURIOUSITY] When will we stop caring about arch/ppc?

Vitaly Bordug vitb at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Jun 27 07:11:49 EST 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:03:41 +0200
Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 June 2007, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > Well the arch/ppc tree is basically frozen already, all Freescale
> > stuff got moved over already as far as I can see, and 4xx has
> > started moving.
>
> 8xx has been moved over, but last time I tried, it was not possible
> to actually compile that code. Note sure if the arch/ppc version of
> it is in a much better shape though.

8xx should be ok now, yet, we have to be aware that only 2 platforms are in arch/powerpc
and there are plenty in arch/ppc still.

> 82xx seems to be in a similar state to 4xx, with a single platform
> moved over, but most of the code still being arch/ppc only.

The situation is better here - most stuff is very similar to what is done (except sandpoint but that's another story)
and the number of platforms is reasonable.

for the 8xx feild, there is quite a lot of boards...
with all the "specifics", it is nearly impossible to provide robust port without actual HW
(or, heh, the result won't work at all).

> 	Arnd <><

Sincerely, Vitaly