network load 8245 vs. 8347E

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Fri Jun 22 04:53:48 EST 2007

Sure; the 2.4 ethernet driver for the e100 might be extremely efficient
on the CPU but not very good on bandwidth. They've (Intel) rewritten it
a short while back according to the documentation, so it may be that
the newer version on 2.4 may be just as CPU intensive as the gianfar
driver, and you're lucky to be using the old one. I haven't looked at
the 2.4.x version you're running to see what driver it's using, but Intel
do have their latest driver version backported to the 2.4 kernel series
on their site.

You might just be lucky that 2.4 is less bloated and has to handle less
features than 2.6 and it's lowering the CPU usage :)

So, I suppose, comparing at least 2.6 series kernels is a start, making
sure you compare the old 2.4 e100 driver to the new 2.6 e100 driver is
another idea. I think there are too many variables. That said, usually
inbuilt ethernets on SoC's.. at least in my experience.. tend to be
more efficient in some ways but not in others. In any case an Intel
network card has always kicked the pants off it.. :(

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations