[patch 1/3] ps3: Disk Storage Driver

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Thu Jul 19 19:36:31 EST 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:57:53 +0200 (CEST),
> Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com> wrote:
>
> > Were .probe()/.remove() made concurrent again? I thought that idea was dropped
> > because it caused too many problems?
>
> Well, for a given device, ->probe()/->remove() are locked by dev->sem,
> so that there cannot be two probes/removes for the same device at the
> same time. However, if you have multiple hotplug events pending at the

OK.

> same time, it depends on your bus whether it does some serialization or
> whether it allows multiple probes/removes running for different devices.
> (Initial probing of a bus and probing of all devices with a new driver
> is done serialized again, I think that's what you're referring to.)

We have a probe thread that checks for new storage devices and adds them to the
bus with ps3_system_bus_device_register(), which calls device_register().

I guess the actual bus probe() routine gets called through the notifier call
chain? That's where I got lost...

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · Swift GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619