[patch 1/3] ps3: Disk Storage Driver

Cornelia Huck cornelia.huck at de.ibm.com
Thu Jul 19 19:26:02 EST 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:57:53 +0200 (CEST),
Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com> wrote:

> Were .probe()/.remove() made concurrent again? I thought that idea was dropped
> because it caused too many problems?

Well, for a given device, ->probe()/->remove() are locked by dev->sem,
so that there cannot be two probes/removes for the same device at the
same time. However, if you have multiple hotplug events pending at the
same time, it depends on your bus whether it does some serialization or
whether it allows multiple probes/removes running for different devices.
(Initial probing of a bus and probing of all devices with a new driver
is done serialized again, I think that's what you're referring to.)