[RFC/PATCH 0/16] Ops based MSI Implementation

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Jan 29 07:14:52 EST 2007

> Anyway for architecture hooks I have it down to just:
> /*
>  * The arch hook for setup up msi irqs
>  */
> int arch_setup_msi_irq(struct pci_dev *dev, struct msi_desc *desc);
> void arch_teardown_msi_irq(unsigned int irq);

Which we would have to turn into "ops" hooks right away on powerpc
anyway because we can have multiple implementations in a given kernel
image depending on a mix of platform and which bus the devie is on.

> Which should be good enough to handle everything but RTAS.

You keep ignoring the problem then... we -HAVE- to handle the RTAS case.
In addition, it's not unlikely that other virtualized environment will
provide a similar very high level APIs to MSIs.

Ben.