EMAC OF binding....

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at au1.ibm.com
Tue Jan 9 07:32:32 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 07:38 +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> >  - compatible        : compatible list, contains 2 entries, first is
> > "emac-CHIP" where
> >                        CHIP is the host ASIC (440gx, 405gp, axon) and
> > second is either
> >                        "emac" or "emac4".
> >                        For axon, thus, we have: "emac-axon","emac4"
>
> "ibm,emac-axon" etc. please.

Why ? In the -content- of a compatible property ? haven't seen that much
before.

> >  - local-mac-address : 6 bytes, MAC address
>
> Don't forget "mac-address", if the device is opened
> in OF; and "max-frame-size" please.

Yeah well, doesn't need to specify that, it's already specified :-) I'm
talking about what the driver wants.

> >  - cell-index        : 1 cell, hardware index of the EMAC cell on a
> > given ASIC (typically
> >                        0x00000000 and 0x00000001 for EMAC-0 and EMAC-1
> > on each Axon chip)
>
> Can you find a better name?  What is this used for, anyway?

Propose one :-) There are various bits here or there where you have to
know which EMAC in a chip you are talking about (clock control bits,
that sort of thing).

> >  - max-mtu           : 1 cell, maximum MTU supported in bytes
>
> See "max-frame-size", MTU is on a higher level than device
> level and as such shouldn't be here; the OF networking layer
> can set something like this if it wants.

Except that I don't want OF to set anything dynamically here. This is a
way to prevent EMAC to do jumbo frames in fact.

> >  - mal-burst-size    : 1 cell, MAL burst size (used to calculate
> > thresholds)
>
> In bytes?

Yup.

Ben.