Another Update (SUCCESS) on: MPC85xx git/MPC8548cds - PCI/PCIE problemS w/ Marvel SATA driver...

Morrison, Tom tmorrison at empirix.com
Wed Feb 28 03:45:28 EST 2007

As indicated before, I got the SATA drive fully
accessed via the PCI interface (that uses the Marvell
6042 chip).

With some help from Freescale and based upon the CDS/Carrier/
Motherboard combination that I have (2.2/1.2/3.0), I was
required to merge the PCI Express piece of the Standard
DTS file into the legacy version. Further, I modified
the standard sata_mv.c to recognize the Marvell 7042 chip
as a valid/supportable id.

The question now is:  What do I do with these changes?

I am assuming that someone from Freescale will update the
DTS changes, but what about the change to sata_mv.c?

It is a one line change to add the Marvell version of
7042 chip to the pci_device_id table (mv_pci_tbl):

	{ PCI_VDEVICE(MARVELL, 0x7042), chip_7042 },

I know that for Marvell, the only difference between the
PCI version (6042) and PCI Express version (7042) is
the external bridge interface (PCI to PCI bridge for the
6042 & PCI to PCI Express bridge for the 7042) which
is transparent to this driver anyways. Thus, I am
pretty sure it's a safe change?

But, I've never submitted a change and/or I do not
want to step on anyone else's toes (J.G. comes in mind)
if they are already staging this change.

Suggestions/Comments?

Thanks in advance...

Tom Morrison
Principal Software Engineer