Problems with arch/powerpc

Sean MacLennan smaclennan at pikatech.com
Fri Dec 28 09:20:09 EST 2007

If this should go in linuxppc-embedded please let me know. It seems that
the board supports are getting posted here.

PIKA has an embedded PPC440EP board based on the AMCC Yosemite board. I
got the Linux 2.6.19.2 kernel working by basically copying the Yosemite
configuration. Now I am trying to move from the ppc to the powerpc
architecture using Josh Boyer's for-2.6.25 kernel. And there is no
Yosemite config :( We are using u-boot 1.3.0.

I have the kernel booting, but the OS runs very strange. I cannot run
the ash shell, it fails on the first setjmp. But I can run the hush
shell (we are using busybox). So it goes, many things work, others don't.

I am mounting the root filesystem over NFS, so the ethernet seem to work
well.

But cat /proc/interrupts shows:

           CPU0
 16:        126   UIC   Level     serial
 17:        520   UIC   Level     MAL TX EOB
 18:        804   UIC   Level     MAL RX EOB
 19:          0   UIC   Level     MAL SERR
 20:          0   UIC   Level     MAL TX DE
 21:          0   UIC   Level     MAL RX DE
 28:          0   UIC   Level     EMAC
BAD:          0

Which is quite different from the older kernel:

           CPU0
  0:       3075  UIC0 Level     serial
  2:       1526  UIC0 Level     IBM IIC
  7:          0  UIC0 Level     IBM IIC
 10:       1388  UIC0 Level     MAL TX EOB
 11:       1839  UIC0 Level     MAL RX EOB
 32:          0  UIC1 Level     MAL SERR
 33:          0  UIC1 Level     MAL TX DE
 34:          0  UIC1 Level     MAL RX DE
 40:          1  UIC1 Level     ohci_hcd:usb1
 60:          0  UIC1 Level     EMAC
BAD:          0

I have attached the dts file. It is based on the bamboo. I can provide
any other config, the only thing I can't provide is the hardware ;)
Since the new kernel doesn't show UIC0 or UIC1, just UIC I am wondering
if something is wrong with the dts.

I have to admit the dts file confuses me a bit. So I suspect that is
where the problem is. If anybody has any other ideas, don't hesitate to
suggest!

Cheers,
   Sean