[techfield] GPIO causing bus error

Elayda, Bernardo (Bernie) Bernie.Elayda at windriver.com
Sat Dec 22 03:27:26 EST 2007

Hi Chris,

I'm going to look at this problem from the FPGA hardware level because I
used to work for one of the FPGA companies.

I'm not familiar with your PPC440GX board, so some of my suggestions may
be difficult to implement or totally unreasonable, especially if it
requires soldering to an FPGA in a ball grid array or extermely fine
pitch pins.

(1) You should capture the configuration sequence on FPGA's JTAG pins
using a logic analyzer in functional mode.

In functional mode, you can capture an extermely long sequence of
configuration events.  Also, in the past, I've used this mode and found
that when the FPGA doesn't configure, usually there are too few or too
many clocks on the TCK line.

(2) Sometimes, rarely, the FPGA design itself can cause a boot up
problem.

Instead of using the real design, send a 'blank' design with no logic
implemented at all.  If this works, then it's the FPGA design itself
that is causing the boot problem.

(3) When the boot process happens, what is the power sequence of the
FPGA?

Most FPGA's out there like a nice smooth power profile that ramps up
quickly.  Check and see if the profile is quick and smooth vs. spikey
and erratic.  Also, sometimes configuration data gets sent before the
FPGA is ready to receive data.  Try delaying the sending of
configuration data by a millisecond or so.

(4) Manually delay the configuration of the FPGA.

In other words, let the system boot, but modify the code to allow the
FPGA to configure only after a button is pushed.  In theory, if the FPGA
power has properply initialized the FPGA, you could keep the system this
way forever until a 'button' is pushed to configure the FPGA.  if this
works, this tends to imply that there is a timing issue.  If it doesn't
work, it's possible that the FPGA's JTAG tap is actually in a state that
won't allow configuration to complete, such as non shift-dr or non
shift-ir state.

(5) If your FPGA is using one of the SVF-based software configuration
methods via JTAG, make sure you are using the latest SVF player and
latest software for generating the FPGA bitstream.  The configuration
method may have changed.  The FPGA silicon you are using may be newer
than the configuration algorithm that has been implemented.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Bernie Elayda
the ex-X guy