Time for cell code reshuffle?

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Sat Dec 22 04:23:08 EST 2007

Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> We've been discussing in the past a few times where we should best put
> the spufs code, and when to do it. Since Jeremy and I now have all the
> current patches in powerpc.git, maybe we should do it now.
>
> To the question, where what it should go, I'd leave the decision to
> Jeremy, but my current idea would be:
>
> arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spufs -> arch/powerpc/spufs
> arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spu_{callbacks,base,syscalls,fault,notify}.[co]
>  -> arch/powerpc/spufs/{callbacks,base,syscalls,fault,notify}.[co]

I think we should consider support for SpursEngine.  At the moment I have no
idea of what it needs, and if no one else does we need to find out.

> If we do it in git now, that should result in a minimal breakage of patches.
>
> A related question is what to do about the location of the other cell
> related files. platforms/ps3 is already pretty self-contained once we have
> spufs outside of platforms/cell, but there is still some code shared between
> platforms/cell and platforms/celleb, and each of these directories also contains
> code that is only relevant for a subset of the platforms.

It seems platforms/cell should have the shared and/or generic code, and the other
stuff moved into a new platform directory, but is it worth the effort?

-Geoff