initrd - /dev

Siva Prasad sprasad at bivio.net
Wed Dec 12 13:07:42 EST 2007

Hi,

I have a initrd image that I am trying to use on 8641D. When I mount it
on a regular PC (using mount -o loop <ramdisk file> <dir>), I can see
all the required files in /dev directory.

However, after loading the same <ramdisk file.gz> into the target board,
all the files in /dev is missing, making it not print any messages (as
/dev/console is also missing).

Why would the files in /dev just disappear after loading it, while it is
present when I normally mount it on a Linux PC.

I find this very strange and appreciate any clue that can lead to
resolution. I am willing to try out any thought you may have.

Thanks
Siva