ppc vs powerpc

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Tue Dec 11 07:59:39 EST 2007

On 12/10/07, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is the plan for ppc to be completely merged with powerpc and then be
> eliminated? If so, how close is this to completion?
>
> What should we do with ppc users of mpc-i2c? If the plan is to
> eliminate ppc I would say to just copy the existing driver and then
> delete the old version when the rest of ppc gets deleted.

arch/ppc is scheduled to be removed middle of 2008.  Don't break
arch/ppc users before then.  Ideally there should be overlap between
the addition of support in arch/powerpc and the removal of support
from arch/ppc.

Personally, I structure the driver to support both platform bus and
of_platform bus.  It's not hard to do and it keeps things
understandable.  Take a look at drivers/block/xsysace for an example.

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.