Merge dtc

Josh Boyer jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Dec 5 15:00:12 EST 2007

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:26:25 -0600
Josh Boyer <jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:22:46 +1100
> Paul Mackerras <paulus at samba.org> wrote:
>
> > Josh Boyer writes:
> >
> > > Using that same reasoning, should we merge a mkimage patch for the
> > > boards that use U-Boot?
> >
> > I think so.  It's fairly small and it would mean that people could
> > cross-compile all the defconfigs easily.
>
> I'll try to work up a patch tonight.

OK so it won't be tonight.

The problem we have with mkimage, unlike DTC at the moment, is that it
_is_ used on other architectures.  There's already a mkuboot.sh script,
which calls mkimage, in scripts/ right now.  Adding mkimage to
arch/powerpc only seems pretty wrong.

So if mkimage is going to be put in-kernel, I'd rather it be in a more
generic place.  Arguably, dtc should go there as well seeing as how
microblaze could probably use it too.

josh