ucc_uart: add support for Freescale QUICCEngine UART

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Wed Dec 5 09:39:57 EST 2007

Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> I'm guessing that you don't really mean dma_addr_t here, but rather
> phys_addr_t, which is something different.

Now that I think about it, I don't know which is correct.  The value is plugged
into the pointer register of a buffer descriptor, and the QE performs a DMA-like
memory transfer from that address into its local memory.  I don't know if the QE
is considered "external" enough that the address is a DMA address or a physical
address.

When I program the DMA controller, I give it a dma_addr_t.  And yet, the DMA
controller and the QE are both devices on the SoC.  So if the DMA controller
takes a dma_addr_t, then shouldn't the QE also take one?

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale