Patches for ppc?

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Tue Aug 21 15:25:14 EST 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 06:28:50PM -0500, Satya wrote:
> hi,
> what's the issue with arch/ppc again? why is it being phased out? I
> am

It's a crusty, nasty, old codebase that we want to replace with the
newer and nicer arch/powerpc.

> working with the IBM Blue Gene/L which is based on ppc440. I need to
> get a patch in too! :)
>
> I noticed that head_44x.S has been copied to arch/powerpc/kernel in
> the current head tree, but is it functional yet? has everything been
> moved to arch/powerpc ? how about the include files ?

It's not a question of indivudual files being copied over - things are
done differently in arch/powerpc.  Things are gradually being ported
over to arch/powerpc as people get the time - that's why arch/ppc
isn't gone yet.  440 support is now in arch/powerpc, but is not yet
complete:  it works, but is missing some fairly important device
support (RTC and PCI are the most prominent).

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson