[patch 06/10] 40x decrementer fixes

Josh Boyer jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Aug 4 03:15:25 EST 2007

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 20:47:03 +0400
Sergei Shtylyov <sshtylyov at ru.mvista.com> wrote:

> Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> > Allow generic_calibrate_decr to work for 40x platforms.  Given that the hardware
> > behavior is identical, this also changes the set_dec function to reload the PIT
> > on 40x to match the behavior 44x currently has.
>
>     Why bother doing this?! This will only warrant you imprecise decrementer
> interrupts while it should be interrupting at the precise period currently (if
> you load PIT once)...

Without some kind of fix, it doesn't function at all.  We can load the
PIT once, but then we need to make sure ARE is set because if the PIT
ticks down to zero it just sits there.

If we want to do that, then fine but it should be common between 40x
and 44x.  I didn't see much of a reason to differ from what's there
today.

josh