Please pull powerpc.git 'merge' branch

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Fri Sep 15 09:36:18 EST 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> Curious.  It doesn't look familiar.  I have had problems printing from
> my G5 in the past few weeks, but I attributed it to something being
> broken in debian unstable, and right now, running current git,
> printing is working again for me.

Ok, maybe the debian brokenness exists in FC5 too, and a "yum upgrade"
broke it for me rather than any kernel work. I guess I'll just have to try
different kernels and see if the kernel matters at all. The strace output
just made me assume that maybe the kernel _does_ do something wrong.

> I just tried stracing the X server (I don't have a cupsd running) and
> the selects look reasonable, e.g.:
>
> select(256, [1 3 4 5 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
> 26 27 28 29 30 32 33], NULL, NULL, {0, 484000}) = 1 (in [33], left {0,
> 460000}) <0.026111>
>
> Is your cupsd a 32-bit or a 64-bit binary?

My cupsd is 32-bit (but so is my X server, so I'd assuge strace has the
same breakage). Strace looks ok when I trace "firefox", though (which is
using "poll()", not select). So..

		Linus