Please pull powerpc.git 'merge' branch

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Fri Sep 15 08:55:34 EST 2006

Linus Torvalds writes:

> Hmm. I'm not at all sure this pull caused the problem, and it may have
> started long before, but right now I have problems printing on my G5
> machine.
>
> I'll get around to trying to bisect it at some point, but before I even
> start, I should probably check if anybody recognizes this immediately.

Curious.  It doesn't look familiar.  I have had problems printing from
my G5 in the past few weeks, but I attributed it to something being
broken in debian unstable, and right now, running current git,
printing is working again for me.

> which actually looks like something is broken (it says timeout in 5
> microseconds, even though the timeout structure is shown as being one
> second).
>
> Now, it's entirely possible that the _broken_ thing is actually strrace
> itself (that return value from "time()" looks a bit strange too), and that
> it's some tracing problem with rinning 32-bit programs on a 64-bit kernel.

I just tried stracing the X server (I don't have a cupsd running) and
the selects look reasonable, e.g.:

select(256, [1 3 4 5 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 32 33], NULL, NULL, {0, 484000}) = 1 (in [33], left {0,
460000}) <0.026111>

Is your cupsd a 32-bit or a 64-bit binary?

Paul.