'make ARCH=ppc defconfig' failing for cross-compile

Judith Lebzelter judith at osdl.org
Sat Sep 9 10:05:12 EST 2006

Hello,

I have been doing cross-compiles for ppc and powerpc on my i686 system.
In order to do this I generate the .config file like this:

make ARCH=ppc defconfig
(or make ARCH=powerpc defconfig)

This is the error for ppc:

***
*** Can't find default configuration "arch/ppc/configs/common_defconfig"!
***
make[1]: *** [defconfig] Error 1
make: *** [defconfig] Error 2

If I replace this file 'arch/ppc/configs/common_defconfig' with an old one,
it does create my .config.  The allmodconfig, allyesconfig and allnoconfig
work as I expect.

This is also happening for powerpc with a slightly different error where
it seems to get the architecture from my system rather than the
specified target architecture:

drivers/pcmcia/Kconfig:187:warning: leading whitespace ignored
***
*** Can't find default configuration "arch/powerpc/configs/i686_defconfig"!
***
make[1]: *** [defconfig] Error 1
make: *** [defconfig] Error 2

Could you suggest something that would make these cross compile builds
work again?

Thanks,

Judith