pci error recovery procedure

Linas Vepstas linas at austin.ibm.com
Sat Sep 2 07:32:51 EST 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 05:04:09PM +0800, Zhang, Yanmin wrote:
> One more comment: The second parameter of error_detected also could be deleted
> because recovery procedures will save error to pci_dev->error_state.

Yes, I beleive so.

> So, the err_handler pci_error_handlers could be:
> struct pci_error_handlers
> {
>         pci_ers_result_t (*error_detected)(struct pci_dev *dev);
>         pci_ers_result_t (*error_resume)(struct pci_dev *dev);
> };

No, as per other email, we still need a multi-step process for
multi-function cards, and for cards that may not want to get
a full electrical reset. Finally, there might be platforms
that cannot perform a per-slot electrical reset, and would
therefore require drivers that can recover on thier own.

--linas