kernel BUG in __cache_alloc_node at linux-2.6.git/mm/slab.c:3177!

Christoph Lameter clameter at sgi.com
Thu Oct 19 01:12:51 EST 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> Since this is a virtualized system there is every possibility that the
> memory we get won't be divided into nodes in the nice neat manner you
> seem to be expecting.  It just depends on what memory the hypervisor
> has free, and on what nodes, when the partition is booted.

The only expectation is that memory is available on the node that you are
bootstrapping the slab allocator from.

> In other words, the assumption that node pfn ranges won't overlap is
> completely untenable for us.

That does not matter for this problem.,

> Linus' tree is currently broken for us.  Any suggestions for how to
> fix it, since I am not very familiar with the NUMA code?

Have memory available for slab boot strap on node 0? Or modify the boot
code in such a way that it runs on node 1 or any other node that has
memory available.