RFC: qe lib code location?

Andy Fleming afleming at freescale.com
Tue Oct 17 04:46:33 EST 2006

On Oct 3, 2006, at 12:30, Dan Malek wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2006, at 12:34 PM, Kumar Gala wrote:
>
>> I was wondering what peoples thought were on having the qe lib code
>> live in drivers/qe instead of sysdev/qe_lib (with the exception of
>> the interrupt controller code)
>
> My personal reason for choosing one place or the other
> is based upon usefulness to architectures other than PowerPC,
> or general kernel APIs that may change.  If something is
> useful to architectures other than PowerPC, clearly it
> should go there.  If the software has dependencies on
> general kernel APIs (networking is a good example), I like
> to put is there in hopes that someone changing the APIs
> will at least make an attempt to keep this code up to
> date as well.
>
> I think it neither of these apply (and I don't think the VM
> interfaces are a good argument because they generally
> affect the architecture ports anyway), then I think it
> should stay in a more architecture specific place.

My feeling here is that, all things being equal, drivers/ is better.
My reasoning is that, should Freescale decide to release a non-
powerpc chip with a QUICC Engine, having the code in drivers/ makes
this easier.  It would also allow for some screwier implementations
(put an 8360 on a PCI card, and just use the QE directly from the
host processor).  Of course, all of this is pure speculation, so if
there's a good reason *not* to put it in drivers/, we should probably
just maintain the status quo.