Booting without Uboot on 8548E

M Ptich ptich at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 4 19:52:57 EST 2006

Documentation mentions that the only dependencies between 2.6 Kernel and
bootloader are:

1. 5 input parameters (bd_t pointer, start and end of command line, start
and end of ram disk)
2. bd_t pointer and command line must with within 16MB of Kernel
3. Initial TLB1 entry must have IPROT=1

Slowly, we are finding that this list is not complete. For example, address
calculation at the start of platform_init (r3 + ...) assumes that Kernel has
been initially loaded at 0-base virtual address.

And now we are stuck with apparently another dependency: our Kernel fails to
advance beyond time calibration because jiffies are not getting incremented,
so we are not getting timer interrupts. Is it true that Kernel relies on
EPIC timer set in Uboot ? If not - where the timer insterrupts are
configured ?