Maple: killing a process that causes a machine check exception

Anton Blanchard anton at samba.org
Wed May 24 02:23:48 EST 2006

Hi,

> What do you mean by synchronous? Do you mean that the current process
> may no be not the one that caused the ME?

Yeah, a device doing DMA might cause a machine check independent to your
current task. In that case we really need to take the machine down.

> In my case I _need_ the process to be killed, as it is making a VME bus
> error. / PCI target-abort.
> I am starting to get desperate. I have been working for several month
> with IBM to get a solution on machine check related issues on the Maple.
> First, the Maple was hanging hard. Now that this is fixed, I need the
> Linux ME to kill the offending process!
> My feeling now, is that I am really starting to have it w/ the ppc64!

Sounds like you need a Maple specific machine check handler. My point is
we cant merge a fix like that because it affects every powerpc arch out
there, all with different machine check handling requirements.

Anton