PPC host with a PCI root-complex

Srinivas Murthy codevana at gmail.com
Fri May 19 07:56:31 EST 2006

Hi,

We have a ppc host with a PCI root-complex across which there are multiple
PCI end points.

An application running on the ppc host reading one of the device memory
regions (not DMA access but direct CPU read) causes a parity error on the
PCI interface controller.

We think that the error should be propagated up as a machine-check which is
considered a non-recoverable system-wide error. However with multiple PCI
devices present we think that this is too generic and could be reduced to be
a critical-error which could be recovered from.

Are there any other approaches/thoughts keeping in mind that this is PPC
host and we're running a PCI-rootcomplex interface?

Thanks,
_Srinivas