Base address of executables - weirdness?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jun 7 01:42:49 EST 2006

I'm trying to track down an odd issue with klibc on ppc32.

Until recently, binaries linked with ld defaulted to a base address of
0x10000000+SIZEOF_HEADERS.  However, recently I've gotten a couple of
reports -- and I've been able to confirm this on my FC5 system -- that
some versions of ld links at 0x01800000+SIZEOF_HEADERS.  Needless to
say, this is more than a bit confusing, *especially* since "ld -verbose"
still reports:

     PROVIDE (__executable_start = 0x10000000); . = 0x10000000 +
SIZEOF_HEADERS;

... at the top of the linker script.

I'm rather baffled.  Has anyone else seen this, and/or have any other
explanation?

	-hpa