kurobox kernel

Mark Glines mark at glines.org
Sat Dec 30 04:58:56 EST 2006

Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> My config is in the kernel - arch/powerpc/configs/linkstation_defconfig.
> And I don't use IDE, I use PATA, and it works good, I also had problems
> with IDE, although, not as bad as you describe. Also, you, certainly, need
> root=/dev/sda1, not hda1, change it in your U-boot environment. As for
> interrupt numbers - they are correct, and they are (pretty) arbitrary,
> allocated dynamically. I have:
>
> lyakh at KURO-BOX:~$ cat /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>  16:          0   EPIC      Level     serial
>  17:        230   EPIC      Edge      serial
>  18:       1747   EPIC      Level     i2c-mpc
>  19:     142193   EPIC      Level     eth0
>  20:       1764   EPIC      Level     libata
>  21:    1309856   EPIC      Level     ehci_hcd:usb1, ohci_hcd:usb2, ohci_hcd:usb3
> BAD:         15
>
> Thanks
> Guennadi
> ---
> Guennadi Liakhovetski

Thanks, disabling IDE worked.  It took a couple tries due to a Makefile
issue (or misunderstanding on my part)... see below.  Now I get to
figure out why my Gentoo userspace won't boot, which I think is beyond
the scope of this list :)

NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)
linkstation: disarming the AVR watchdog:
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
Freeing unused kernel memory: 140k init
Synchronizing SCSI cache for disk sda:
Restarting system.

One issue I ran into is that "make zImage" does not rebuild an existing
image, but "make uImage" does... I think the Makefile is missing a
dependency.  I'll send a patch if I debug this further.  I know the
"zImage" rule is just there for convenience, but apparently zImage is a
deeply ingrained habit for me.

paranoid at kuro-2 /usr/src/linux $ make zImage
   CHK     include/linux/version.h
   CHK     include/linux/compile.h
   UPD     include/linux/compile.h
   CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
   CC      init/main.o
   CC      init/version.o
   LD      init/built-in.o
   CC      fs/proc/proc_misc.o
   LD      fs/proc/proc.o
   LD      fs/proc/built-in.o
   LD      fs/built-in.o
   GEN     .version
   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
   KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms1.S
   AS      .tmp_kallsyms1.o
   LD      .tmp_vmlinux2
   KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms2.S
   AS      .tmp_kallsyms2.o
   LD      vmlinux
   SYSMAP  System.map
   SYSMAP  .tmp_System.map
   MODPOST vmlinux
make[1]: `arch/powerpc/boot/zImage' is up to date.
paranoid at kuro-2 /usr/src/linux $ make uImage
   CHK     include/linux/version.h
   CHK     include/linux/compile.h
   UPD     include/linux/compile.h
   CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
   CC      init/main.o
   CC      init/version.o
   LD      init/built-in.o
   CC      fs/proc/proc_misc.o
   LD      fs/proc/proc.o
   LD      fs/proc/built-in.o
   LD      fs/built-in.o
   GEN     .version
   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
   KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms1.S
   AS      .tmp_kallsyms1.o
   LD      .tmp_vmlinux2
   KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms2.S
   AS      .tmp_kallsyms2.o
   LD      vmlinux
   SYSMAP  System.map
   SYSMAP  .tmp_System.map
   MODPOST vmlinux
   WRAP    arch/powerpc/boot/uImage
Image Name:   Linux-2.6.20-rc2-kuroboxHG
Created:      Fri Dec 29 09:43:09 2006
Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size:    1624545 Bytes = 1586.47 kB = 1.55 MB
Load Address: 0x00000000
Entry Point:  0x00000000

Mark