[powerpc] Fix bogus BUG_ON() in in hugetlb_get_unmapped_area()

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Fri Dec 22 12:17:06 EST 2006

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 01:31:26AM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > +	if (len > TASK_SIZE)
> > +		return -ENOMEM;
>
> Shouldn't that be addr+len instead?  The check looks incomplete
> otherwise.  And you meant ">=" I guess?

No.  Have a look at the other hugetlb_get_unmapped_area()
implementations.  Because this is in the get_unmapped_area() path,
'addr' is just a hint, so checking addr+len would give bogus
failures.  This test is, I believe, essentially an optimization - if
it fails, we're never going to find a suitable addr, so we might as
well give up now.

> > -		/* Paranoia, caller should have dealt with this */
> > -		BUG_ON((addr + len) > 0x100000000UL);
> > -
>
> Any real reason to remove the paranoia check?  If it's trivially
> always satisfied, the compiler will get rid of it for you :-)

Yes - this is the very bug on which was causing crashes - the "caller
should have dealt with this" comment is wrong.  The test has been
moved into htlb_check_hinted_area() and now simply fails (and so falls
back to searching for a suitable address), rather than BUG()ing.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson