[Openipmi-developer] [patch 1/1] ipmi: add autosensing of ipmi device on powerpc using device-tree

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Dec 12 03:58:36 EST 2006

> If I understood you comments an example OFDT node for IPMI could
> look like the following:
>
> name = "ipmi"
> device_type = "ipmi"
> compatible = "ipmi-kcs"
>
> reg = XXXXXXX8 00000008
> reg-spacing = 4

Yeah.

> reg-size    = 1
> reg-shift   = 0

But without these two, they are the default.

> Is the "8" of the reg property correct?

Sure.  Alternatively, if your device really only claims
bus cycles targeting the 8-bit regs at xxx8 and xxxC, you
can say that in the "reg" property.  This doesn't change
the programming model in the least though.

> I'm still worried what happens when we have a BT or SMIC interface
> an the registers sitting at XXXXXXX4, XXXXXXX6, XXXXXXXA. In this
> case the reg-spacing property can't be used anymore. Can this
> happen in reality?

I don't think it is allowed.  Either way, the generic Linux IPMI
code would need changing for this -- let's worry about it later
(if ever!)

Segher