RFC: Location for Device Tree Sources?

Mark A. Greer mgreer at mvista.com
Thu Aug 10 03:03:23 EST 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 11:48:34AM -0500, Jon Loeliger wrote:
> So, like, the other day "Mark A. Greer" mumbled:
> > > We're only talking about the _source_ files.  The .dts files.  Not the
> > > binary trees themselves.
> > >
> > > The basic summary is that having a .dts in the kernel for every
> > > defconfig would be good.  (I think that was the summary anyway.)
> >
> > That's my understanding too.  A 1-1 matching of default config files
> > and dts files kept in the kernel src trees.
>
> And the keen observer who watches Paul's tree will have
> noticed that the first DTS file, mpc8641_hpcn.dts, has already
> been added to arch/powerpc/boot/dts!
>
> > Any extra dts files
>
> ... of which there are none...

Yet...

> > ...would be kept whereever dtc src is stored (i.e., jdl.com).
> >  I haven't heard jdl agree to this, though.  :)
>
> Sure.  No problem by me.
>
> Though I do have a question WRT the notion of the libdt...
>
> So, if I understand this proposal correctly, making libdt.a
> would mean that we will now have to link the kernel against
> this new, external dependency library.  It would also mean
> that we'd have to link U-Boot against this new, external
> library as well.
>
> Did I misunderstand or is everyone hip, jiggie and down with that?

I thought the proposal was a master copy kept by you and then the
various users would copy it over when they wanted.

>From Hollis' email
(http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2006-August/023882.htm):

	"I think we should turn it into a library in the dtc source
	tree. The various projects using it could then include snapshots
	(to avoid dependencies)."

I think that means we copy.

Mark