RFC: Location for Device Tree Sources?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 10 00:03:36 EST 2006

In message <1155122309.4040.94.camel at localhost.localdomain> you wrote:

> > Where should we place the sources for the OF Flat Device
> > Tree source files?  They used to be in U-Boot, but that
> > isn't happening any more.
>
> Why ? While having device-tree's in zImages is good to handle firmwares
> that can't pass them, I still think that the proper thing to do is to
> have the firmware provide the DT to the kernel. Did Denk decide once for
> all against having DTs passed by uboot at all ? In which case, it's
> probably time to consider a fork...

Ben, you are mixing two things here.

I have nothing against U-Boot  passing  the  DT  to  the  kernel.  On
contrary,  if  DT's  are  used, than I think this is how it should be
done.

It's just that I think that the DT *sources* should not  be  part  of
the  U-Boot  soutrce  tree, and that the DT should be in fact part of
the kernel images that gets booted by U-Boot.

This has been discussed before (see archives), and the agreement  (?)
was  to  use  U-Boot's multifile image format for this purpose, where
you can combine a Linux kenrel image with a DT image  into  one  file
bootable by U-Boot.

Jon's question was where the source code of the DT should be placed.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
What is mind?  No matter.  What is matter?  Never mind.
                                      -- Thomas Hewitt Key, 1799-1875