[RFC] New target 'cuImage' - compatibility uImage

Mark A. Greer mgreer at mvista.com
Fri Aug 4 05:37:49 EST 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 11:02:14AM -0500, Matthew McClintock wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 23:56 +0800, Li Yang wrote:
> >
> > If U-boot supports uncompressed kernel image in uImage, I think it
> > will be better to use this scheme:
> >
> > u-boot header + wrapper + FDT + compressed kernel image
> >
> > As kernel image will be uncompressed to its loading address directly.
> > While in your proposal, it needs to be moved one more time.
> >

> This is an option. But, I do not see a reason why you would not still
> opt to compress everything. Especially since it is already working.
> Comments anyone?

Yes...sort of.  I believe that one of the goals is to be able to tack
an fdt onto a zImage/uImage/whatever long after that image has been
built.  That would be simpler if the fdt wasn't compressed.

A proper tool can handle this, of course, but it would be simpler and
not a huge waste of space to keep the fdt uncompressed.

But, as long as we have tools to view and modify the fdt that in the
clump of bits, I don't really care that much.

Mark