PCI init vs. memory init

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Sat Apr 29 17:48:31 EST 2006

Linas Vepstas writes:

> You mentioned that the sequence of inits seemed wrong, that the
> PCI init should be done later, after the memory init. I think
> I agree; but when I took a very very quick look at the code, there
> was no obvious hook in later init to move the PCI init over to.
>
> Are you pursuing this further? Should I dig into it?  Any bright
> ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

I assume you're talking about find_and_init_phbs() and eeh_init(),
which are currently called from pSeries_setup_arch().

Would a core_initcall be early enough for those?  It seems to me that
it probably would be.  What are the actual dependencies?  Clearly it
needs to be before pcibios_init(), which is a subsys_initcall.  Is
there anything else that they need to come before?

> There are several spots in in the powerpc PCI init code where
> a boot_mem alloc is used instead of kmalloc, and this boot_mem is
> then hacked around in the case of a PCI hotplug remove.  It would
> be nice to fix this...

Indeed.

Paul.