85xx FDT updates?

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Apr 26 02:51:05 EST 2006

On Apr 25, 2006, at 11:31 AM, Eugene Surovegin wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 11:25:59AM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
>> If we are talking about a reference board than I think this is an
>> absurd requirement.  If you are willing to update your kernel on such
>> a board why would you not be willing to update the firmware as well.
>
> 1) I don't have JTAG
> 2) I don't trust new U-Boot version
> 3) I want to be able to boot old kernels
>
> What you are proposing is more like saying - we changed kernel
> user-space API, old applications aren't supported anymore, get the new
> libc and rebuild them all. For some reason we don't intentionally do
> this, I wonder why.

I dont think this is like the user-space API at all.  The binding
between kernel and u-boot is actually pretty tight.  For certain
config options you have to ensure that u-boot and the kernel agree
(for example CONFIG_CPM2).

If you dont trust the new u-boot I dont know why you would trust the
new kernel anymore.  Also, I find it difficult to believe people
would not be willing to update a u-boot to get any bug or performance
tweaks that might exist after the initial release that came on their
board.

You can boot old kernels with the new u-boot if you want to.

- kumar