85xx FDT updates?

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Apr 26 02:25:59 EST 2006

On Apr 25, 2006, at 11:12 AM, Eugene Surovegin wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:05:54AM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
>>
>> Second, this seems normal like normal kernel development to me.  I
>> think its reasonable to pick some time frame after which we will
>> remove the support and to let everyone know what that is.  I see this
>> as no different than having a driver outside of the kernel tree and
>> having it break when APIs change.
>
> I don't agree. This is not the same as changing _internal_ kernel API
> for a simple reason that _firmware_ was never part of the kernel and
> will never be. You seem to have an idea that's that's OK to _remove_
> existing functionality from the kernel for no reason except your
> convenience. I think this is unacceptable. If kernel was able to boot
> on some hardware (including reference one) in the past it should be
> able to do this now even if this will require some boot shim.

If we are talking about a reference board than I think this is an
absurd requirement.  If you are willing to update your kernel on such
a board why would you not be willing to update the firmware as well.

To my knowledge all the in tree boards that are supported for 85xx
all boot via u-boot.  So if u-boot is available for the given board
that is capable of booting an arch/powerpc kernel why would we need
to continue supporting the board in arch/ppc.

- kumar