85xx FDT updates?

Eugene Surovegin ebs at ebshome.net
Wed Apr 26 02:12:00 EST 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:05:54AM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:

> Second, this seems normal like normal kernel development to me.  I
> think its reasonable to pick some time frame after which we will
> remove the support and to let everyone know what that is.  I see this
> as no different than having a driver outside of the kernel tree and
> having it break when APIs change.

I don't agree. This is not the same as changing _internal_ kernel API
for a simple reason that _firmware_ was never part of the kernel and
will never be. You seem to have an idea that's that's OK to _remove_
existing functionality from the kernel for no reason except your
convenience. I think this is unacceptable. If kernel was able to boot
on some hardware (including reference one) in the past it should be
able to do this now even if this will require some boot shim.

--
Eugene