85xx FDT updates?

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Apr 25 07:43:14 EST 2006

On Apr 24, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Jon Loeliger wrote:

> OK, so what is the deal with the 85xx patches
> that have been submitted for more FDT support?
> I get a variety of mixed stories, message and
> vague comments.  I want some facts and direction.
>
> Can anyone verify, validate, refute, deny or
> support any of these statements?  Not trying to
> be mean, point fingers or sound negative here,
> I'm just trying to pinpoint the apparent log-jam.
>

> 1. The 85xx patches that Andy submitted, that
>    have been pulled into Kumar's 85xx git tree
>    are going to sit there until further patches
>    are submitted that _remove_all_85xx_support_
>    from the arch/ppc tree as well.
>
> 2. The same patches are going to sit in Kumar's
>    tree until 8560 patches with support for CPM
>    are released and all 85xx ports appear fully
>    and completely in arch/powerpc.  BTW, CPM is
>    waiting on approval of Vitaly's CPM proposal
>    for OF FDT support.
>
> 3. Statements 1 and 2 combined.
>
> 4. The same 85xx patches have just slipped through
>    some mental crack and simply need to be pulled,
>    re-applied, re-drafted, re-submitted.  Oops, sorry.
>    The action item is in _________'s lap.
>
> 5. There was an unresolved comment/issue that
>    FSL still needs to address.  BTW, that issue
>    is ________.
>
> 6. We are waiting on something else and that
>    item is _______.
>
> 7. You know, you really need to address the _other_
>    85xx ports (such as TQMs) as well.  Can you
>    please do something about those as well?
>
> 8. These Linux patches aren't going to be picked
>    up until the corresponding U-Boot patches are
>    picked up as well.

My understanding is that paulus should pull them into powerpc.git.
He hasn't given me any reason to believe that shouldn't just happen.
I dont see any reason that we need to have other dependancies for
code that works.  I'll push on paulus to pull the patches in my tree
into powerpc.git.

However, I am against removing the arch/ppc support until the u-boot
patches are picked up.  I think its bad form to give people a kernel
they can't easily boot.

- k