85xx FDT updates?

Vitaly Bordug vbordug at ru.mvista.com
Tue Apr 25 05:04:13 EST 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:41:56 -0500
Jon Loeliger <jdl at freescale.com> wrote:

> OK, so what is the deal with the 85xx patches
> that have been submitted for more FDT support?
> I get a variety of mixed stories, message and
> vague comments.  I want some facts and direction.
>
> Can anyone verify, validate, refute, deny or
> support any of these statements?  Not trying to
> be mean, point fingers or sound negative here,
> I'm just trying to pinpoint the apparent log-jam.
>

> 1. The 85xx patches that Andy submitted, that
>    have been pulled into Kumar's 85xx git tree
>    are going to sit there until further patches
>    are submitted that _remove_all_85xx_support_
>    from the arch/ppc tree as well.
>
> 2. The same patches are going to sit in Kumar's
>    tree until 8560 patches with support for CPM
>    are released and all 85xx ports appear fully
>    and completely in arch/powerpc.  BTW, CPM is
>    waiting on approval of Vitaly's CPM proposal
>    for OF FDT support.
>
> 3. Statements 1 and 2 combined.

That's my understanding. We agreed to have the CPM dts that is limited to "devices" only,
(scc, fcc or ucc) inside it.

Right now I am in process of update the drivers part (yet keeping compatibility with existing ppc stuff, that is tricky), then I am going to rework immap stuff a bit to utilize the parts that are common across the PQ family, and go ahead with some CPM(2) code to powerpc.

> 4. The same 85xx patches have just slipped through
>    some mental crack and simply need to be pulled,
>    re-applied, re-drafted, re-submitted.  Oops, sorry.
>    The action item is in _________'s lap.
>
> 5. There was an unresolved comment/issue that
>    FSL still needs to address.  BTW, that issue
>    is ________.
>
> 6. We are waiting on something else and that
>    item is _______.

Well, as already mentioned, the CPM2-related drivers the way they are could not be utilized in powerpc
sane way. Thankfully, the update is 90% ready right now.

> 7. You know, you really need to address the _other_
>    85xx ports (such as TQMs) as well.  Can you
>    please do something about those as well?
>
> 8. These Linux patches aren't going to be picked
>    up until the corresponding U-Boot patches are
>    picked up as well.
>
> Thanks,
> jdl

Sincerely,