MPC5200 FEC Ethernet only halfduplex ?

Dale Farnsworth dale at farnsworth.org
Tue Apr 4 00:44:30 EST 2006

TSchnuerer at men.de wrote:
> Im working with Linux on our MPC5200 Board, with the latest Rev. B3
> Processor.
> I was updating our Linux BSP from BestComm 2.1 to 2.2 some time ago and
> used your patches which increased usability of the FEC very much.
>
> There is a line in the driver code which I dont understand, it says:
> + fec_restart(dev, 0); /* always use half duplex mode only */
>
> Why can only half duplex be used ?

The reason is simple, but not satisfying.  The driver has no
mechanism to detect PHY status changes and thus no way to determine
when a connection changes from full to half duplex.  It needs a
poll function for PHY status change.  Doing only half-duplex
avoids this issue--at a big performance cost.

I think a poll function was added in the Denx version.

The MPC5200 FEC driver desperately needs a rewrite.

-Dale