[RFC] Option to disable mapping genrtc calls to ppc_md calls

Mark A. Greer mgreer at mvista.com
Wed Jan 19 06:43:12 EST 2005

Tom Rini wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:58:25AM -0700, Mark A. Greer wrote:
>

>>Tom Rini wrote:
>>

>>>I think one of us wasn't clear.  I'm not arguing for nuking
>>>ppc_md.{get,set}_rtc_time(), I'm arguing for nuking
>>>get_rtc_time()/set_rtc_time() inlines from <asm-ppc/rtc.h> (which are
>>>used by drivers/char/genrtc.c) in favor of todc_time et al providing the
>>>functions for genrtc.  So all of the other places we use
>>>ppc_md.{get,set}_rtc_time() are unchanged.
>>>

>>Ahh.  Okay, that's good but it should be done in drivers/rtc or
>>something like and not just another arch specific solution.
>>

>It's not an arch specific solution today.

Okay, I see what you mean and yes moving that up (or something
equivalent) would be a good idea.

That's not what my patch is about though.  My patch is just so I can
provide a generic solution with what is there today.  Its not
redesigning anything, its just getting asm-ppc/rtc.h out of the way so I
can make my own, generic get_rtc_time(), etc.

>  It's just that no one that's
>written an rtc chip library (*cough* todc_time.c *cough*)

Heh!

> has placed one
>in drivers/char/ and let the chips (or the file) be selected.  genrtc.c
>already says "someone else tell me how to get the time".  I kinda sorta
>think arch/arm/common/rtctime.c does too, except it has hooks for alarm.

Yeah, its probably time for a better solution to what's there today...
Maybe I can get to it but it won't be for a while.

Mark