[RFC] Option to disable mapping genrtc calls to ppc_md calls

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Jan 19 06:08:48 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:58:25AM -0700, Mark A. Greer wrote:
> Tom Rini wrote:

> >>There are three reasons.  You don't want to use an I2c rtc clock at
> >>all in these functions because they get can get called from the
> >>clock interrupt to update the time in the rtc.  If it does happen to
> >>work,
> >>it creates long latencies in the timer interrupt.  If the i2c requires
> >>an
> >>interrupt, they system will crash or hang.
> >>

> >I think one of us wasn't clear.  I'm not arguing for nuking
> >ppc_md.{get,set}_rtc_time(), I'm arguing for nuking
> >get_rtc_time()/set_rtc_time() inlines from <asm-ppc/rtc.h> (which are
> >used by drivers/char/genrtc.c) in favor of todc_time et al providing the
> >functions for genrtc.  So all of the other places we use
> >ppc_md.{get,set}_rtc_time() are unchanged.
>
> Ahh.  Okay, that's good but it should be done in drivers/rtc or
> something like and not just another arch specific solution.

It's not an arch specific solution today.  It's just that no one that's
written an rtc chip library (*cough* todc_time.c *cough*) has placed one
in drivers/char/ and let the chips (or the file) be selected.  genrtc.c
already says "someone else tell me how to get the time".  I kinda sorta
think arch/arm/common/rtctime.c does too, except it has hooks for alarm.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/