[RFC] Option to disable mapping genrtc calls to ppc_md calls

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Jan 19 06:05:14 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:55:54AM -0700, Mark A. Greer wrote:
> Tom Rini wrote:
[snip]
> >>Is there a better way to do this?
> >>

> >How about we try borrowing the MIPS abstraction and force todc_time,
> >pmac_time (any others?) to directly define (and EXPORT_SYMBOL)
> >get_rtc_time / set_rtc_time / etc.
> >

> Yep, MIPS has a solution...and so does ARM...and so does PPC.  This is
> sort of my point.

And my point was to use someone elses solution, 'cuz that's how we go
from N to N-1 to 1 :)

> If we really want to do it right then someone needs to architect a
> generic solution.  What I have done is generic but does not handle the
> case that Geert mentioned when you have one kernel binary and several
> possible rtc chips.  In the meantime, what I have done works fine for
> all but that case.

I guess there's two points:
- How does your solution differ from what MIPS does, and probably ARM
  does of saying the backend (todc_time, i2c-foo) provides
  get_rtc_time/set_rtc_time?
- I horribly briefly talked with rmk about this a long time ago, and I
  think he has the generic solution, siting in arch/arm/common/rtctime.c
  (sure it would need to be moved to drivers/char/something, but..).
- I lied, #3 how does ARM, which I think lets you select multiple
  boards, and thus probably end up with multiple rtc chip choices, deal
  with it.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/