[RFC] Option to disable mapping genrtc calls to ppc_md calls

Mark A. Greer mgreer at mvista.com
Wed Jan 19 05:55:54 EST 2005

Tom Rini wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:10:00PM -0700, Mark A. Greer wrote:
>

>><snip>
>>
>>There are 2 reasons to not use the ppc_md.get_rtc_time() et. al. interfaces:
>>1) They are called before the i2c driver is initialized and even loaded
>>if its a module.
>>

>But they check if it's set, so they can be assigned later and this is
>OK.

But looking at ppc_md.<anything> automatically makes it ppc only.
Pretty much any of the rtc chips that we use on ppc platforms could
appear on almost any other platform with a different processor
architecture.  So the question is, why do we keep adding ppc-only
support for rtc chips?  Why are we not putting our effort into making
code that works on all architectures?  Its easy enough to do...

>>2) Its ppc-specific.  Implementing get_rtc_time() et. al. directly makes
>>it generic across all architectures.
>>

>Guessing, this is for a marvell chipset that's found on MIPS too.

That's an example but like I said above rtc chips are not tied to any
particular processor architecture.

>>Is there a better way to do this?
>>

>How about we try borrowing the MIPS abstraction and force todc_time,
>pmac_time (any others?) to directly define (and EXPORT_SYMBOL)
>get_rtc_time / set_rtc_time / etc.

Yep, MIPS has a solution...and so does ARM...and so does PPC.  This is
sort of my point.

If we really want to do it right then someone needs to architect a
generic solution.  What I have done is generic but does not handle the
case that Geert mentioned when you have one kernel binary and several
possible rtc chips.  In the meantime, what I have done works fine for
all but that case.

Mark