[FYI] linux 2.6 still not working with PReP (ppc32)

Sebastian Heutling sheutlin at gmx.de
Mon Jan 10 10:17:54 EST 2005

Marc Dietrich wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I didn't recognise that the kernel from Sebastian - which was working fine
>here - was build from the debian sources (no hint in the kernel version).
>So I build everything again from debian source and fixed the irq's in
>prep_pci.c.

Erm ... well ... yes - it's a debian kernel ;).

>I can confirm now, that this debian+irq_fix kernel 2.6.8 runs fine and
>produces no scsi timeouts!
>
>Something happend in kernels >= 2.6.9 which makes the scsi unusable. Also it
>seems, that even in 2.6.8 kernels and with ide hard disks (Sebastians setup)
>the scsi controller timeouts, but continues to operate - correct?

Yep correct.
I also tried the 2.6.10 and found out that it doesn't work here as well.
First I get a lot of lost interrupts from the IDE driver and after that
I also get the SCSI timeouts. It must have something to do with the prep
changes in 2.6.9. One difference in IRQ setup I noticed is in
prep_pcibios_fixup(). If I remember correctly before 2.6.9 at least on
this Utah machine the IRQs are assigned from Motherboard_routes[]
without doing anything else. Now additionally the IRQ is also written
into the devices pci config space which might not work on the
PowerstackII Utah.
It's only a guess and I haven't had the time yet to test it.

Sebastian